Kasey & Robin
Find Your Grit
“True grit is making a decision and standing by it, doing what must be done. No moral man can have peace of mind if he leaves undone what he knows he should have done.”
- John Wayne
As I was scrolling through my Twitter feed last week, I ran across a Tweet from Trevor Moawad who has lately become one of my favorite motivators. The author of It Takes What It Takes, a book filled with strategies for overcoming adversity, Tweeted the following about Grit:
Reading this prompted me to think of the necessity for Grit as we face returning to school, work, church, sporting events, and other normal activities during these unprecedented times. Whether you are an administrator preparing for your students to return to school, a doctoral student trying to carve out time to work on your dissertation, or a parent sending your child off to college for the first time, you have no doubt been required to call upon your personal toughness and determination to get through the first six months of 2020. One thing I can be absolutely sure of is that we are stronger than the circumstances that surround us, and we will emerge on the other side of COVID-19 somehow better and more spirited than we were before. How will we get there? Perhaps calling on our Grit is the answer. We are brave, strong, and tenacious; therefore, let us call upon our Grit as we embrace the future with resolve to fearlessly engage in our new normal.
By: James Clear
“Decide the type of person you want to be. Prove it to yourself with small wins.”
- James Clear
· Break bad habits and replace them with good ones.
· Small changes add up to big positive changes over time.
· It is our daily habits, not simply our goals that lead to success.
· Never miss your good habits two days in a row. Get back on track as soon as possible.
Dare to Lead
By: Brené Brown
“Courage and fear are not mutually exclusive. Most of us feel brave and afraid at the same time.”
- Brené Brown
· We live in a culture of scarcity, fear, and uncertainty which must be overcome with empathy, connection, and courage.
· Connect with people to build trust.
· Take smart risks and share bold ideas.
· Create a culture that makes people feel safe, seen, heard, and respected.
You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
By: Jen Sincero
“The only failure is quitting. Everything else is just gathering information.”
- Jen Sincero
· We live in a world of endless possibilities.
· Focus on what makes you feel good, and you will attract that.
· Listen to your intuition.
· Always do your best.
· Be grateful for what you have. Have faith and gratitude for what you do not yet have.
· Get good at what you want, and make a firm decision to go for it!
· The secret to success is tenacity.
Final thoughts on Grit…..
“Grit is not just a simple elbow-grease term for rugged persistence. It is an often invisible display of endurance that lets you stay in an uncomfortable place, work hard to improve upon a given interest, and do it again and again.”
- Sarah Lewis
Persevere, endure, improve, and find your Grit. Wake up to what sets you on fire, and go for it!